It takes a combination of proper sanitation, preventive measures and good home maintenance practices for tenants, homeowners and landlords to keep household pests from their properties. Although you can keep most of these pests from your home, you might need the services of a pest control professional if a certain pest is hard to control or if you are experiencing extensive pest infestation.
Look for value and quality when selecting a pest control company just as you would with any other professional service. Find a competent company with reasonably-priced services, not to mention proper use of pesticides to prevent damages on your property and negative effects on your health.
What to Look for in a Competent Pest Control Company
- A List of References
The pest control company should provide you with a list of references. Its previous customers will let you know about their experience working with the given company. Request your prospective pest control service provider for at least three references.
- Experience in the Industry
How long has the pest control company been offering the exterminator services in the local industry? Consider a company with at least two years working experience in offering pest fumigation services. Does the company have any pending complaints? Check with the States Office of the Attorney General, the States Agriculture Department, EPA or Better Business Bureau to find out.
- Pesticide Labels Used and Application Rate
A good pest control company should be willing to share with you its business credentials such as labels of pesticides used to show application rates, processes, and any other important precautions.
- Certified and Licensed Pesticide Professionals
Pest control service companies must be licensed and certified to offer the exterminator pest control services. Certified application professionals are tasked with direct supervision of licensed technicians and certified pest control applicators.
Other Important Factors to Consider
If your home is often infested by a certain pest and non-chemical bug exterminator services have proven ineffective, you need to opt for routine pesticide applications. However, you do not need such services if the converse is true. Some pest control service providers offer service contracts to routinely treat infested structures for a specific bug.
Owners of warehouses that often receive cockroach-infested crates may find such contracts a necessity. Ideal pest control service contracts for residential homes only include pesticide application if there is actually a pest infestation but other control techniques have failed to work. Look out for local exterminator services that include periodic inspections for re-infestations.
Termite control services often come with one to five years guarantee. Find out if yearly inspections are free or charged and what is covered by the service guarantee. If treatments fail to control the pests in question, who is responsible for damages on your property? Is it the pest exterminator company? Hire a trustworthy and authentic company to assure you of a reliable guarantee.
The Don’ts of Selecting a Professional Pest Control Company
Don’t hire a company that:
- Uses a secret formula; the State’s Agriculture Department and U.S EPA are responsible for registering pesticides with active ingredients stated on the product labels.
- Does not have a working telephone number
- Puts pressure on you to sign a contract, giving dubious reasons
- Offers door-to-door pest control services and targets the elderly and those with disabilities. Ask such companies for their credentials and identification to confirm if they are genuine.
- Does not specialize in pest control services, but offers it inclusive of other services such as garden & lawn care and home repair services.
- Offers special prices for immediate or instant sign ups
- Prices its services based on each gallon of pesticides used. It can take diluted pesticide in hundreds of gallons to control termite, hence, such a pricing technique is not reasonable.
- Claims to be recommended by relevant government bodies such as the U.S EPA and the States Agriculture Department; the government does not endorse any product or service. It only ensures that the products and services offered to the general public are safe and of quality.
- Visits your home without notification or invitation and comes with sample pests from your neighbor’s to indicate an extensive problem in the neighborhood.
- Offers immediate treatment of your home using excessive pesticide left from a previous pest exterminator job, at a reduced price.
Cooperate with the pest control service company and do what they ask you to before, during and after application of the right pesticide. Make sure you follow all the instructions given to the latter.
Things Your Pest Control Company Can Ask You to Do
- Let the sprayed pesticide settle and dry before allowing pets and/or kids to get indoors.
- Keep all household pests off the treatment area to prevent them from ingesting the harmful pesticide chemicals.
- Empty kitchen cabinets, remove personal items lying on the floor, and keep pets away from the treatment area before the team of professional exterminators arrive.
- Use heavy plastic to cover your aquarium or remove it from the area or structure to be treated. Do not forget to turn off the air pump to ensure no pesticide gets into the aquarium.
Always follow instructions given to you by your exterminator service company, especially if they intend to use both pesticides and non-chemical pest control techniques in your home. With good cooperation, your local exterminator company will not just get rid of pests from your home, but also minimize the amount of pesticide it uses.
If not used according to the manufacturer’s instructions on the product label, pesticides can pollute the environment or even impair your health due to their toxic nature. Different pesticides have varying level of risks and side effects. A professional exterminator can help you find a pesticide that best suits your needs. All-State Pest and Lawn pest exterminator service provider also offers bed bug control service.
Contact All-State Pest & Lawn pest control professionals today to eliminate specific pests from your home.